1.16.2011

Gag Me

So we've been back from our 3 week vacation to Utah for a couple weeks now. We had so much fun being in Utah with our families, although it did come with a few difficulties. Esther's schedule was totally messed up and I'm just now feeling like we're getting our schedule back to normal. Three weeks was too long for us. Plus Esther had some major clingy-ness that was difficult to deal with. On several occasions Esther would get so upset about something (being away from mommy or daddy usually) that she could cry so hard that she'd gag herself and throw up. It happened probably six or seven times during our 3 week trip, including the flight out there, when I didn't have Mike to help.
Anyways, my point in bringing this all up is today during church Mike went to drop Esther off in nursery. More often than not she's totally fine and is excited to play in nursery. Today however, she would have none of it. She did not want Mike to leave her in nursery. In fact, she got so upset that she threw up. She threw up a lot too. Mike was there to help take care of Esther, but unfortunately Esther's nursery teachers had to clean up the rest. Huge apologies to Esther's nursery leaders and HUGE thank yous for taking care of the mess. We owe you big time.
Esther has major allergies so when she seems to be suffering from those we will give her some Claritin to get rid of the post-nasal drip, which seems to increase her gag reflex. But other than that, what can I do? Her gagging and throwing up seems to be more and more of a problem and honestly it just frustrates me. She's going to get upset sometimes and want things that we can't give her. Mike and I both have responsibilities that make it so we can't just be in nursery, and since that's not our calling, we'd rather not be in there anyways. Maybe I'm being too stiff nosed and I should give in to her more than I do, but I don't want to become a push over either. Any suggestions out there? Sigh....

3 comments:

Bidwell said...

avoid too much dairy. the more mucusy she is the more likely it is to happen.

Ferdinand said...

After a lifetime of avoiding dairy when I was sick I discovered recently that there's actually no correlation between dairy intake and mucus production. But I digress; one of Joyelle's nephews does the same thing as Esther. If he gets too upset, he spews. He just turned five. I don't know what to tell you other than we'll keep you in our prayers. That and try and avoid colored foods.

Bidwell said...

well kissyfer I found that in my life it does make a difference when you have a sensitivity to dairy and since esther is robyn's daughter it is likely that she does have some extra dairy sensitivity.