Years ago when my family was living in Albuquerque New Mexico. My mother was an early morning seminary teacher (basically early morning scripture study class). It was important to us to have family prayer before my mom and older brothers went to seminary every morning. This meant that we all got up at 6am-ish to have family prayer (and for a time, scripture study too).
One morning we all got up and went downstairs for prayer. Mom was sitting on the couch kinda funny and when we asked what was wrong she said with a bit of a smile "Ask your dad." Oh the story he had to tell!
Papa had been dreaming the night before that he was in China with his friend Mike H. (aka Portagee #1). They were sitting on a bench waiting for something when a little yippee Chinese dog came up and started yapping at them. Papa tried shooing it away several times but each time it came back and was more and more irritating. Eventually it started trying to bite them. That was the last straw! Then my dear sweet calm father dreamed that he picked up the little yippee dog and drop kicked it in frustration! Papa was sure to make note that the dog went sailing out of sight. :)
In real life, however, it was not a dog that he kicked, but rather my mother. Papa woke up to my mother trying to figure out why she had been kicked so forcefully. My mom had a bruise the size of a bowling ball on her leg for over a week. Thankfully mom was able to see the humor in it right away, although Papa will never be able to live it down (his 6 kids will make sure of that, even if mom doesn't bring it up anymore).
In fact any time someone talks about sleep walking or talking or strange things we do in our sleep, the Chinese dog story always comes up. :)
Recently my little family went to Cincinnati for the week of the 4th of July. It was HOT so we went to the YMCA several times and also ran through the sprinkers outside. On the 4th of July we were getting ready to go run through the sprinklers. We were out on the back porch getting sunscreen on. Aiden crawled up onto one of the plastic adirondack chairs. He stood up facing the back of the chair and began hitting it. Pretty soon he decided to throw his whole body against the chair. Unfortunately this caused the chair to tip over backwards, but fortunately for Aiden, I was standing behind the chair and so I caught the chair with my leg. If I hadn't been right there, Aiden would have been hurt (did I mention I was standing in front of a flight of stairs that he could have easily toppled down?). The chair hit my leg just above the knee and scrapped all the way down to my foot. Boy howdy did it hurt! But I saved Aiden's life, so I'll just call it a mommy battle wound.
Here's a picture of my leg taken right after the injury occurred (sorry for the wonky angle, I was taking the picture myself. ever try to take a picture of the back of your leg?).
Thankfully my brother had a bajillon ice packs so the swelling didn't get too bad. Ibuprofen also helped with that. :)
This next one is what it looked like the next morning, although the flash kinda washed it out.
I didn't document the rest of the bruising, but trust me, it got big and blue and nasty. Now, a week and a half later, it's just kinda green and purple.
I'm not going to lie, there's a part of me that thinks it's kinda cool having this battle wound. :) I basically saved Aiden's life so that gives me bragging rights, doesn't it? "Look what happened while I saved my kid's life!"
So for the past 10 days or so I've been checking out my bruise and thinking of the bruise my mom had. I guess I'm just glad mine didn't involve a Chinese dog. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment