7.14.2009

5 years

Five years ago today I entered the MTC for a 4 week training session before heading off to San Diego. What a blessed decision it was for me to serve a mission! Oh the sweet and precious lessons I learned. I served at the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center as well as on the temple grounds and as a half day proselyting missionary. I honestly had no clue who the Mormon Battalion was before I got my mission call. But oh the things I learned from them! They served our nation in a way that most people (members and non-members alike) have no clue about. Serving at the temple grounds was also an incredible blessing. It was sometimes difficult to be sitting outside the temple waiting for someone to come so we could give a tour to them. I often wished I could just enter the temple while we waited and participate in the important work there. I also had the opportunity to serve with dozens of wonderful senior couple missionaries. I learned so many life lessons from these dear brothers and sisters. Some had saved a lifetime so they could afford to spend their golden years on missions. Some had been blessed with riches, but left that behind to serve the Lord. All helped me to understand that the things of eternity far outweigh every other distraction; that family relationships should be cherished; and that living the gospel of Jesus Christ is the most important thing in the world. Everything else falls into it's place when we do that. With the help of companions, members, and especially investigators, I grew to love my Savior in a way that I never even knew was possible. I came to understand the personal efficacy of the Atonement.
I cherish the time I spent in San Diego and the way everything I did there has impacted my life now. Thanks be given to our Heavenly Father who has always had a plan for me, because believe me, it is much better than the plan I had for myself!

No comments: