10.08.2008

Gymnast in training

A week ago I had the opportunity to volunteer my prego belly for doctors to practice their ultrasound techniques on. Don't worry these were real doctors and I was only on the table for 20 minutes at a time. There were 5 of us there volunteering so we would rotate around. There was no risk to me or the baby by doing this, so don't worry about that. Plus I got to see our little girl and they compensated us for our time with a little cash and a really good lasagna lunch. :)
So I had about four shifts of ultrasounding and our little girl wasn't cooperative for any of them. During the first shift she was sitting with her legs crossed indian style underneath her, so the doctors had no chance of determining her gender. Her arms were crossed in front of her as if she was giving us attitude. "Uh uh, you're not gonna get an ultrasound of me that easy," she seemed to be saying. Since she was upright and facing straight out, the doctors fun trying to get the views they needed. Oh and she also was punching a bunch too. I think she was just practicing her dance moves. That'd be cool if she's a dancer. :)
During my second and third shift she was incredibly active. We decided she was doing her gymnast training because she was doing somersaults and flips all over the place. Even the head doctor who was supervising the whole endeavor and who was one of the best at ultrasounds said that she was a feisty one. In fact he finally got a good shot of her heart, but by the time he had clicked his finger to freeze the frame on the computer, she had already moved. During my third shift she moved from having her head on my right side to my left and back to my right in less than 20 mins.
During my fourth shift she was thankfully calmer. This was after lunch and the doctor joked that she was taking an after lunch nap. This time she had her head on my left, but she was face down. They were still able to get a nice profile of her, but she had developed the hic ups! It was so cute to see her little hic ups. After a while she also began sucking her thumb. We could see her little thumb in her mouth and the throat swallowing. So let's hope she's able to use that little trick to self soothe after she's born. As long as she gives it up easier than her uncles did. :)
So yeah, she's moving around a bunch and doing well. I just wish she wouldn't move around so much when I'm trying to sleep. Mike's been able to feel her a few times through my belly, so that's made it even more fun for him to experience it a little. :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Oh I am so jealous! What a fun way to be connected to her all day long! You two will have your hands full it looks like!